Monday, July 4, 2011

The world is a lot smaller now

This horse on a flying bird is the symbol of tourism in China.  When I went to Wuwei, with Zhang Kai, I visited this park in his town that plays tribute to this horse being selected as the symbol of Chinese tourism.  My first week back at the ICC East Peoria campus I saw a small copy of the horse in the lobby of PAC.  I looked at it and smiled and said to myself, "I know what that is and I have been to the place where they found it."  To be from a small town in Illinois and to have the opportunity to travel to China has been a dream come true.  When you travel you get to see things and do things that you will always remember.  You get to meet people that you will never forget.
This lady is someone I will not forget.  See cleaned my room and she could read and write English and could speak some.  I could read and write some Chinese and could speak some.  If we both worked at it we could communicate.  I always enjoyed the days went she came it to clean my room.  Some days we would be on the computer on QQ or looked at facebook and working very hard to communicate with each other.  I do realize that if I could have just spoke a little more Chinese my time in Xian would have been so much better.  Hopefully next time I go to China I can speak, read and write better than I do now.  I just have to keep practicing.  I have her QQ number so I need to email her and practice my writing.  Even though some of the students were not great at keeping their rooms neat the staff did seem to like having us around.  When Dr. Murphy was in the hospital everyone wanted to know how he was doing and many of the them went to visit him.  They were really and nice group of people to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment