Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Speaking at the American Welding Society meeting

I got a chance to speak about my time in China during the September meeting of the American Welding Society.  It has been a while since I actually spoke in front of a group and it has been a long time since I have done a presentation about where I have been and what I did.   I could do it better the next time.  I showed pictures of welding in China, places I had visited, food that I ate, and just some things that I thought were interesting.  Ava Zhong went with me and listened to me speak and ate a steak.  I enjoyed the chance to talk and like I said, I could do it better the next time.  I how I get another chance.  I enjoyed my time in China and I enjoy talking about it.  One of the class assignments for my Chinese students was to give a presentation and use their talk as a way to teach me new Chinese words and teach me about their country.   I did not realize until the semester was almost over that my students had never given a talk in front of a group before, not even speaking in Chinese.  Some of my students did very well and many did a good job, considering everything.    Like I told them, "You have to practice."   
I practiced but I also brought Chinese hard liquor for my crowd to taste and had door prizes for them.  That always helps.
Here I am with the other members that have serve as a Chair of the Peoria Chapter of the AWS.
This is a picture of Phil England with his door prize, a Chinese style welding helmet, a pair of sunglasses stuck in a piece of cardboard.  Some of the people that I saw welding did not even have this much protection.  I do not understand why people do not protect their eyes but I am glad I work in the USA.  What is strange to me is that even in this country with all our regulations you can still see people doing things wrong.  At the Cougarplex, a contractor was grinding on the concrete floor and worked at it for over a week, no ear plugs and no safety glasses.  I know what he will say to his grand kids, "what." 
Thats me with the Chinese photo pose, the victory/peace sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment