Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Golden Hans, meat and beer

The Golden Hans is famous for it's meat and and home brewed beer.  The place is a buffet and the meat just keeps coming.  They will not cut you much at one time but they will just keep coming back.  It is good.  The beef tongue was roasted and was very good.  Best I have ever eaten.
The wait staff just walk by your table and if you want something you just ask them to cut it for you.  I had already eaten enough but needed one more bite for the photograph. 
We went with Rob Rogers, the Rugby coach, his wife, Ang, and their son Minnie, Tim Murphy, and pictured here is Katie Evans, the nice lady from English that help me prepare for my teaching experience in China.  The other person is a member of the wait staff, or the Fu Wu Yuan.  Katie will return to England in July and may come back depending on how things go in her life,  I wish her all the best.
This is a picture of Rob and Ang.  Rob teaches at Xian and Ang works in ShangHai and travels alot.  It is sort of like what JoAnne and I did for years when she was in Kalamazoo.  They meet up on the weekends and good for them this is a long holiday weekend.
Picture of Ang and Minnie, their son.  Minnie lives in Xian.  I have met a lot of nice people here in a few months and I will miss them when I return to the USA.  I do hope to return to Xian again and would love to teach again.  The Golden Hans has good micro brew beer, good meat, but if you need more than that you can always try the chicken feet and some sort of insides to some animal.  Hao chi.
The high lite of the night for me was to win the beer drinking contest.  I have done many things in Xian that I did not think I would do before I left on this trip.  I did not think I would try and out run 19 year old students on the Rugby field, I did not think I would fall out of a tree, and I did not think I would enter a beer drinking contest much less win it.   Rob encouraged me to enter by saying, " do it for your blog", and it is true I live my life around this blog.  So I gave it a try and I won.  I have brought fame and glory to the USA.
As they say here, Yi, Er, San, and He.  One, two, three, and drink.  I gave them a running chance because my chinese skills are not that good but I finish strong because I have a young heart. 

I am done.  Lao wai, one and the Chinese, Zero.  I got an Alaska beer mug and a gift certificate for a massage.  It is only Saturday, of a long holiday weekend,  I have two more days to party.  Sunday I may go the Horticulture Expo or the Tang Paradise and see the sites.  I think on Monday it will be good to go the Big Wild Goose Pagoda and then on Wednesday I think the Hua Shan is calling me.  Lots to do and little time to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment