Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hua Shan today

I got up this morning before 6 am and got my stuff ready to try and tackle Hua Shan.  I got a cab to the Xian train station and started looking for the #1 tourist bus for Hua Shan.  I was looking for a bus that had signs on the top similar to those of the city buses, since this is basically a city bus.  The only problem is the sign I am looking for is a small sign in the window,  After having someone tell me to go to the end of the row and figuring out that if the driver could not tell me what time the bus leaves and comes back, then I do not want that bus.  I worked my way up the row of buses and saw a big sign that said Hua Shan and it was the 22rmb price that I had read about.  Someone was able to tell me the departure and return times and where they drop you off.  I got on and about 20 minutes to 8 I was on my way to Hua Shan.  The first stop is at down town Hua Shan for shopping but you only had to do that if you wanted because the bus just opens the doors and as soon as everyone is off the bus, we go on to the entrance gate to get our ticket in and our bus ticket up to the park.  The entry is 100 rmb and the bus is 20 rmb one way.  After getting the cable car ticket for 150 rmb I was up the mountain and ready to hike at 10:20 am. 
It is pretty up here and since it was a Wednesday it was not as crowded as on the weekends.  I hiked with a younger man from England.  Because I had a back pack and a young heart I offered to carry his water.  I took the time to buy a padlock and have the man engrave JoAnne's and my name on it and lock it on the chains at the mountain.  I have the key in my wallet and when we return we will find it move it to a different spot on the mountain.

Every one that climbs Hua Shan in the future will know how much I love my sweet, JoAnne.  From here is was a nice easy hike to the South and West peaks. 
Much of the hiking at Hua Shan is just like this.  That is what they mean when they talk about the Steppes of Asia.  The view at Hua Shan is definitely worth the walking and the effort to get to the top.  This is what you see for much of the hike up the mountain.
Once you get to the top it is a nice view and I would climb up here again and I think I will get another chance in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment