Monday, February 28, 2011

Getting ready for school to start

I was getting ready to start writing this and had to stop and go out on my balcony to watch the fireworks.  They seem to shoot off fireworks a lot around here.  We had our departmental meeting today.  I know what building I will teach in but will not know anything more than that until Thursday.  The one bedroom apartment that I am staying in, is very nice.  I have everything I need.  We are just a few blocks from the grocery store, a Chinese style super Walmart type store.  The cooked food in the store smells so good.  I like the smell of the spices. We went out for street food tonight.  It was interesting to walk down the alley filled with food vendors and little walk- in restaurants.  It had rained all day and the alley was muddy and full of little puddles of water.  I felt like Anthony Bourdian on a quest for some pork, except we ate at a Muslim restaurant.  Sorry Tony.  The food was good and two meals cost less than 3 dollars.
Today everyone was learning how to use the Chinese washing machines.  I don't think some of the students know how to use the one in their own home, so these machines were quite the adventure. The hotel laundry staff has been very helpful to the students and assisted them with the operation of the machines.  You have the combination washer and spin cycle.  You wash your clothes, put them in the spin drum, while you are spinning the clothes you fill the rinse drum , after the clothes spin you put them back in the larger wash drum to rinse, and then after the rinse you put the clothes back in the spin drum. The big problem today was the water pressure was low.  Drying your clothes is easy; take them back to your apartment, and hang them up.  You have to plan ahead for what you are going to wear because it will take time for them to dry.
Today the laundry tomorrow I will learn how to turn off the television.   I have pushed every button on the remote and it still stays on.  At least I know how to work the mute button.
It has rained the last three days but that is also the first rain for the last 3 months.  The dust has settled.  I am glad of that.
Tuesday we will go to the Shaanxi History Museum and on Wednesday just about everyone will start their Mandarin language class.  I will also be in that class.  I plan to do some more review tonight.
I think this city is around 8 million.  I am not sure because I have read and heard different populations from different sources.  I really don't mind all the people because I guess lots of people is what I expected to see in China, and there are lots of people here.
I did learn about the traffic signals.  The flashing green person walking means you can cross the street but be careful. The flashing red person standing means you can cross the street but be even more careful.  I am sure glad I am not driving a car.  The rules of the road here are definitely different here.  Horns, must have a horn and use it.,

2 comments:

  1. Haha.That's China.
    But different region has different culture.:)
    From you,I can definitely learn how foreigners feel in China. :) Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, This makes me feel like I'm walking down the streets of Xian with you. Your descriptions are delightful - detailed and funny. I can't imagine being in a city of 8 million people! Any places to go hiking? Now to catch up on your other entries. Thanks for sharing your adventures with all of us.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete