Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cui Hua Shan and my Saturday Hike

I decided to take a Saturday and relax with some students by hiking, or actually walking up the steps, at Cui Hua Shan, a beautiful mountain not far from Xian.  Zhang Yao's, Aunt's Husband is the the manager so we got a free visit to see the sites.
We started out here and then continued on to see the different small caves and over looks that are around.  The mountain, or Shan, as they call it in China, was very beautiful and the air was fresh and clean Saturday.  The weather was perfect, not to hot and not too cold. 
This is the group I was with, Zhang Rui, Pu Si Si's boy friend, Pu Si Si, Zhang Pei, and Zhang Yao.  After many pictures we were off.
The first stop was to view the ancient petrogyphs that had been carved into the stone.  I assume they were ancient. :-)  Just like I am going to assume I spelled it correctly.


The mountain has a nice little slope to it and the steps are not really made to fit my feet.  I does remind me a lot of going up the steps to the North Campus equipment rooms, only here I do not have to carry a 40 log bag of salt.
Lots of stairs that will take you to the walk over bridge before you get to the lookout point.


You can see the bridge from here and it is not a bad climb to get there.  I do wonder why a middle aged woman would wear a street shoe with a heel on a climb to this place. The bridge is that little dark line between the two peaks.
We walked across this bridge and then on to the lookout point.  We enjoyed a snack and then headed back down.

It is pretty to look at and a good hike for your legs.  I would rather hike a trail but if I do the real Hua Shan this will be a good warm up for me.

This is where I have been and what I did. We were on the way down when we stopped to take this picture.
Students posing for a picture.  It will difficult to leave people like this behind and return to the USA.  I have been very lucky to have met so many nice students, Chinese faculty, and International faculty on this trip to China.  The last month has been very nice because I have finally been able to connect with people that live here.  My language skills have gotten a little better and my students have learned that I am only here to try and help them. I really hope the last month can be more productive for all of us.  With my International QQ I do plan to keep in touch as much as I can.  After this picture it down to the lake and the paddle boats.
The paddle boats were nice. They also have a couple of outboards that you can ride in.  I got to smell the outboard exhaust for the first time in three years.  I really do like the smell of the outboard engine at idle.  It is strange but I do miss not having the boat.  It is not something we will probably every have again but I do like to be on the water if possible.
After the paddle boats and the hike we stopped at Zhang Yao's Aunt's home for a bowl of soup and some vegetable pancakes.  The pancakes are similar to the ones I make.  Zhang Yao told me her Aunt can make Yang Yu Ca Ca, the potato dish I like so much.  She will try and get me the recipe.  She said it was easy.  I told her I will send her the recipe for the vegetable pancakes that I make.  I do like the food here.


The people are very nice.  This is Zhang Yao, my Monday afternoon class student that plays the GuZheng, and her Aunt.  We are leaving her house to get on the bus to return to Xian.  It has been a very nice day for me, I enjoyed the hike but most of all I enjoyed seeing how people in this country spend a week end day. To see people talk, laugh, and enjoy each others company is part of the reason why you travel.  I enjoy the every day things here.  I enjoy talking with lady that cleans my room.  She can practice her English and I can practice my Chinese and we can communicate. We both have to work at it but we can do it.  That is what I like about being here.  It is even more fun to do when your not in the hospital. I will remember many ordianary things about Xian and I wake up every day and I am so thankful to have this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment