Tuesday, April 5, 2011

First hair cut in Xian

I got my first haircut in Xian today.  Tim Murphy was there to take the pictures.  He said he enjoyed the double takes from the people walking by.  I guess not many western people get their hair cut at the street shops.  I knew a few things to say and the barber could speak a little English so everything went well.  This is what I looked like when I walked in the place.
The shop was on the street right outside the campus.  It even had the spinning barber poles, just like at home.  Once it was determined that I wanted my hair cut and not too short, we started with the wash.  Having that out of the way, the cutting started.
Everyone seemed to being enjoying the whole process, Tim was taking pictures, the other staff members were walking around, someone asked me how old I was, and no one cared that we were taking pictures and also having a good time. This the end result.
So if you are in Xian and need a hair cut I suggest you look this guy up.  A hair cut and wash will set you back about a 1.75 dollars. 

After a haircut the best thing to do is walk on up the street to the McDonald's and get a cup of real coffee and some french fries. I do miss the real coffee and try to drink a cup every change I get. For supper we ate at a little outdoor place.  We had meat and beer, the perfect meal.  Next time we are going to eat the little clams, mussels, and the crayfish.  This is a place where we might see about taking a group of students and just trying a lot of stuff.  And taking pictures.  The place was not there two weeks ago and it is outside with only an awning covering the tables, but the clams looked so good.  Just a few degrees warmer outside and it will be perfect.

2 comments: