Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy birthday my friends

After the sports meet there is nothing better than a good meal of just meat and beer at a local outside bar-b-que. Chickens wings and lamb and Snow beer the perfect meal. The only thing that could make it better, would be if we could figure out how they actually add up the bill, or the fa piao.  But the meat is good.  If you can sing Happy Birthday in Chinese to the young girls at the next table you may just get a piece of Birthday Cake.
It is fun to be here and just have the time to enjoy the evening.  I have no yard to mow, or house to clean, or room to paint, or even a meal to fix, I just do my job and then go out to eat my supper.  For now it is nice.  I will like being back home and back in the routine of my old life but for now this is fun.  I like being able to sing happy birthday to someone I do not know, in a language I really do not speak.  People are friendly here and like I tell my students, you have two ways to communicate, one is with a smile and one is with a frown, and everyone knows what they mean.  A smile works better and could get you a piece of cake.
The cake was very good.  This was my first birthday party in China, or a Sheng Ri Hui, I think that is correct.  It was just like every other birthday party, people having fun and helping someone celebrate a new year of their life.  This year has been quite the celebration of life for me. I am not sure if you know this, but I really like it here.  If anyone gets a chance to travel to China, do it.  It is crowded, and the air quality is not the best, but the food is great, the people are friendly and it will change the way you look at the world.  Nothing you do after a visit to China will ever be quite the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment