Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Eating bitter melon

Interesting day today. For lunch I went to one of the three main cafeterias and walked around looking for something that caught my eye.  The soup place looked tasty, so I gave it a go.  I had no idea how to order since I did not know what the different things were.  I could see potatoes, sweet potatoes, tofu, fake crab,bean sprouts, and something that could be cubes of blood but the rest of the stuff, was, well who knows what.  I made eye contact and the guy picked out at least one of everything, put it in at basket and stuck it in the boiling hot pot.  He also charged my 5 yuan or 75 cents. It was pretty darn good. 
Class went will today, the students were assigned to teach me about food.  This group had actually done their homework.  I was learning about the food and trying to help them learn how to teach to a class.  Some of them will really do OK.   Some of them actually could speak up and develop a lesson plan.  Some of them need some work.  I hope they can improve their speaking skills and gain more confidence.  As long as I keep ahead of them I should be OK. 
Next week I am going to work on getting them to use the ICC Tumble Books. I had a student that was going to help me with WiFi and do a demonstration but he could not log in at my building.  Zhoa Sha Sha, said that I could do anything I need to help the students learn so we will go to the library and if that does not work I will take them to the hotel and we can use my computer, and I will see if students can log on in fifth floor lobby area. I was playing some Tumble Book games today and those games and the stories will help.  I showed the TumbleBooks to Katie Evans and she liked them and the French teacher did also.
After class I went out to eat with some of the foreign faculty.  Went to a little place up the street.  I had never tasted bitter melon and found it to be quite good.  I then walked with Katie to the grocery store.  She did some shopping and we talked about being in China, teaching, food, and all the stuff you talk about.  She was going to treat me to my first ride in the three wheel motorcycle taxis but for some reason they did not want to give us a ride.  So we walked back to the campus.  I did get a chance to look at the living quarters the teachers get and they seem nice enough to me.  Enough room to live in and a washing machine in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment