Wednesday, March 16, 2011

proctor a physics test

The morning class, The History of Literature and Art in China, was an interesting class.  The Professor is very good.  What I like about her is that she really does enjoy teaching the American student,s and she does know that their situation is different, and the material is all new to us.   She does cut us some slack, and yet she does expect us to learn and she expects to learn from us.  The experience in the classroom is a good one for all of us. 
We were discussing the use of castration in China.  It was worse to be castrated than to be killed.  I told her about the "castrato" in opera and how they did that late enough in our history that we have sound recordings of castrato's singing.  She did not know that.   I did not either until I did some research on the opera for a paper I wrote for UIS.  What really surprises me is that the spell check says that I spelled castrato correctly.  That is the one thing about writing this, I hate the thought of making mistakes.   For me that is easy to do when I am writing.
Right now a student is in my room taking a physics test for his class back at IVCC.  We will probably have to mail the test in because it is too difficult to work out the computer.  All the instructions and keywords are in Chinese.  Simple things take time here.  The laundry takes time because it is difficult to figure out what the button are for.  The machines that look like the ones in our homes take forever to wash a load and the other machines are the dual wash, then spin, then rinse, and then spin.  You have to have some one help you the first time so that you know what dial is the drain button and what one is for fill.  If you don't know that then you will be draining the drum the whole time and it will never fill up. 
The professor at IVCC has been very good to work with on this matter.  He is letting a student take a test while he is in China so that he can get full credit for a course and not lose the opportunity to be in China.  Not only that but he is very much aware of the problems we have here with the printing and the computers.  The professor thinks I am being nice to do this.  All I am doing is setting at my desk typing while a student takes a test.  I did miss my lunch but that is my own fault.  Tonight we are going to celebrate St. Patrick's Day at the local Irish Pub.  I am looking forward to that.  Then tomorrow I will try and mail a test to the USA and see how well I can speak to the postal clerk.  After that I go shopping at the local outdoor market because Sunday I am making breakfast for Dr. Murphy and myself.  I am thinking omelets and fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment