Saturday, March 26, 2011

My quest for the Mo Gu

I been wanting to eat more Mo Gu, fried mushrooms, that taste a lot like morels, only they are 1.25 dollars, cooked and served to you.  I was successful.  Tonight we ate about as good a meal as I have had in Xian.  We walked down the little alley outside the campus and I had my paper with the Chinese characters for mushrooms and the pin yin and was able to ask for mushrooms and got the reply of Yo Yo.  Which is yes we do in Chinese.  If they say something that sounds like what you want on a turkey sandwich, Mayo, then they do not have it. We had mushrooms, tofu, cold beef and a wonderful vegetable plate for 49 yuan.  We had so much food that I called a student and asked him to come and join us.  This stuff was so good.  You can go to a restaurant close by and set at a table with less people and eat off a real plate and pay almost as much for one dish as you can for what we spent for our whole meal that fed three people.  The thing is this food is just as good if not better and less than half the cost
 I don't know why you can not get food like this at a Chinese restaurant in the USA.  These are great.  I plan to eat them at least twice a month.  The tofu was really good.  A nice spice and it had a green vegetable in the broth. The regular veggie had a great favor.  It tasted like the pea plants that we fix at home but it did not have the same type of stem. I plan to go back to this place again and again.

 If you don't like tofu and vegetables it may just be because you have not eaten here.

2 comments: