Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Feeling better today but did not practice rugby

The three cold and rainy days got me about half sick so I was very pleased to have the sun out today, even though it is still not warm out.   Like I said earlier, the heat is off and of course the doors are all open.  Had a little rough throat but I feel much better now.  I always feel better when I am in the classroom.  I have been having my students write their name on the board when they do their presentations. Today a student with the day of Zhang wrote her name the same way I would write mine if I was signing a check.  Since James Zhang lived with us I know how to write Zhang.  After her presentation I went up and wrote her name nice and neat and asked it this was correct.  She said yes and then I told the students when they write in Chinese they have to be very neat so the foreign students can read it and know how to write it.  I then wrote my name by printing and then I showed them how I sign a check.  The can read Eric Ockerhausen when I print it but not when I sign my name.  I think they got the point.  I was having some photo copies made today and I asked the lady how much it would cost in my best Han Yu or Chinese.  She did not understand,so lucky for me I can write," how much is it."  She told me and I paid her.  They had some problems with the machine and I had to go to a meeting so I was short about 25 copies and she was telling me that and I was saying it was ok.  She kept talking and said in Chinese that I did not understand.  So she started to write me a sentence and I should have told her, "now I really don't understand."  A student was there and helped out and told him I had to go and not to worry about the shortage.  It is not worth my time to fuss over 2 dollars.   Besides they need to change the ink cartridge.  I went to the English Corner today and watch an American teacher work with the students.  It is a lot of fun to speak with these young students.  They are so eager to learn about American and so happy to tell you about China.  Doing things like that may me feel better even when the weather is cold and the doors are open.  One of my students was telling me about a food that she likes and I just happened to have eaten about 30 minutes before class and now I know how to order it.  I have learned a lot this week.  That is what I like about teaching, I learn a lot by teaching. Hopefully the weather will get better and we can have a nice day at the City Wall on Saturday.   At least I can get a good cup of coffee at the Starbucks and maybe some ice cream.  If I was tourist I would probably be in a hotel at the City Wall and I would not be eating at the food alley and walking down the little muddy road after a rain to find some cheap Jiao Zi or Bao Zi.  I would not know what it feels like to see students smile at you and want to talk with you.  This is such a special opportunity.  The only thing I really miss is a good cup of coffee and my wife. I got to talk to her this morning but could not see her on the Skype screen.  That made me a little sad.  It is not a big thing but then again, it is.  Miss you, Jo.

No comments:

Post a Comment