Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rugby practice, beer, and coffee

After rugby practice we went to Coach Rob Rogers apartment to have a few beers and chat about things.  It nice to sit and talk about work, China, the USA, and other stuff. He was also nice enough to make us some coffee.  Real coffee two days in a row.  I must be in heaven.  We have rugby practice on Tuesday or Wednesday at noon.  I need to check for sure on the date, because I really do like the touch rugby.  This week I am off to the post office to mail in a physics test, mail some post cards, and basically just find out where the post office is.  It is only two bus stops away from the campus.  I had a late breakfast this morning which was eggs, tomatoes, and rice.  When I stopped at the cafeteria food stall and started to look at the menu the attendant give me the English menu.  After looking it over I decided to order off the Chinese menu because I knew it was correct.  Some of the English dishes were translated so poorly that I was not sure what I would be eating.  I am not going to spend 75 cents for a meal and not know what I am eating, unless it is an American hot dog. Next week is a holiday here.  Tomb Sweeping Day which is sort of like our Memorial Day.  We get Monday and Tuesday off but have to work on Saturday so I think I would rather have the Saturday off and no holiday.  I am sure we will find something to do with the extra free time.  I think the hotel manager, Yao, might have a Jiao Zi, Chinese dumpling, making party for the students.  I hope it is after 6 on Saturday because I will have to work until six.  I will probably visit the health club right across the street and see if I want to start exercising there.  It will be interesting to get my wellness points in Chinese.   I just need to see what the place looks like and what they have inside
Rob Rogers, the rugby coach, is interested in welding.  We were talking about welding over a few beers after practice and he is going to talk to Dr. Du and see if we can visit the other campus and do some welding.  That could be interesting. I told Rob that I would give him a lesson if he wanted.  I have a pair of gloves, my safety glasses with side shields, welding hats, and some gift items for the instructors.  I think this could make for a very interesting talk at one of the AWS meetings.  For that talk I plan to bring back some Chinese smokes and some Bai Jiu.  Welders seems to like cigarettes and strong drink.  And who doesn't.

2 comments:

  1. Who doesn't like cigarettes? ummmmm you, right? You gave them up 30 years or so ago. Be a role model. Just say no. "Mom"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like in the movie "Airplane" China is a bad time to try and give up cigarettes. And they are cheap here, too.

    ReplyDelete