Thursday, March 10, 2011

A good day in class

I was a little concerned about class today because this was the first group that I had met with and it did not seem to go well last week.  I know much of that problem was me, and it being the first time I have ever tried to do something like this.  As I walked in to the classroom I saw the words ICC and Tumble Books written on the black board.  I looked again and noticed the sequence of how to log on to the ICC website and find Tumble Books was written one the board.  I guess the department Chair does think this bit of information on our website will help the students.  If we can get the scanner printer working in my room I will do some print outs of the pages and make them available to Zhoa Sha Sha and the students.  I will also give some to Alvin Zhong, the student government President and maybe take some to the English Corner next week.  The English corner is on Wednesday night and is where the students go to practice English.  Of course there are more Chinese students than there are Americans, so it can be difficult at times.  Like one student said, "you can't talk to everyone and still have time for your own studies, but how do you say no to people so eager to learn.  Maybe the Tumble Books will help the Chinese students improve their English while they are at home.

The class today went well.  The students were more engaged.  We did the Pictionary/telephone game with one group understanding the instructions better than the other group.  When the class was over they all at least understood the game, and I think how to use it as a teaching tool.  Next week I will see how well they can teach me about the foods of Xian.  One girl asked me after class if she could bring food.  I told her that she could do what ever she needed to do to teach me.  I tried to get the point across that they do not have to have perfect English but they need to be able to communicate.  I would like to do a short video of the Chinese teacher we have on Wednesday.  She is very good at communication and uses very little English and the Chinese she uses is to the point and reinforces the learning of the Chinese language.  I think watching her would be a big help to these students.

In our Chinese Literature and Art class we have to select a Chinese name.  I have decided to pick the name NiKou.  This would be a Chinese name that sounds like the name of the French student, Nico, that lived with us one year.  There are a lot of different words that have the "Ni" sound.  The one I will use is the term for wild beast\, wild horse and Lion.   The Kou sound I have selected is the character for the word, mouth.  So my name should mean the mouth of a lion.  When you can make the same sound and have it mean so many different things you have to be careful, especially if you decide to get a tattoo.  There is another "Ni" sound that means ladies under garments.  So if I get a tattoo, I need to do my research.  Advanced Chinese class tomorrow and then it is the weekend.  I will also have to figure out what I need my students to do for the week after.

No comments:

Post a Comment