Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My first english corner

I attended the English Corner tonight for the first time.  The English Corner is where the Chinese students meet to practice, oh yes, English.  If you are an American, then you can be quite popular at this event.  I got there after supper and had a nice conversation with some Chinese students.  They are English majors and need to improve their speaking skills.  Actually, their speaking skills were pretty good.  Since this was not a class, the were more relaxed, and I was too.  I am getting a little better at speaking and getting a little better at understanding.   This is the best way to learn a language, to just be there and have to either sink or swim.
Played rugby again today and my legs hurt this time.  We have practice again on Sunday.  We had quite a few people show up and we might have a decent team.  I will have to see how my legs feel on Sunday.
Tomorrow is Saint Patrick's day and I think some of the students are going to the Irish Pub not to far from here to enjoy a Half and Half.   It will be interesting to see if people are going to wear  green hats.  In China a green hat is a term that means your spouse is unfaithful.  That is why the Chinese enjoy the tours of the John Deere plants when they pass out the green John Deere hats.
Tomorrow is a busy day.  I have the History of Chinese Literature and Art, I will need to eat something, proctor a Physics test for a student, go to my class and teach, meet some friends for supper, and then head off to the Pub for a drink.  It just never stops here.  This weekend we are going somewhere but I am not sure where.  I will take pictures and let you know.
I will leave you with this note about China's open door policy.  Every building I have been in, regardless of the weather, has the door open. The first day I walked in the building that I was to teach in, I could see my breathe in the lobby and guess what, the door was open.

No comments:

Post a Comment