Saturday, March 12, 2011

waking up in the morning and touch rugby practice

My alarm is set for 7 am and when it goes off I also get to hear the sounds of a chant over the loudspeakers somewhere in the near distance from the hotel. I find this to be a very nice way to wake up.  The chant usually lasts about 5 minutes.   Oh, I can hear gurgling in the pipes so I think the water is back on.  It was off this morning for a repair of the fire hydrant and after the touch rugby game it was off again.  But it may be on now.  I have to find a washing machine that is free so I can do some laundry.  Back to waking up in the morning.  The chanting is the same song every day but I do enjoy it, at least so far.  I assume the chanting is a Muslim call to prayer but that is based on nothing but the fact that Muslims do live here.  And the best street food I have eaten so far has come from carts that are run by Muslims.  I can also hear the chickens and the roosters in the morning.  I can not see them but I can hear them.  Fireworks are something that you can always hear in Xian.  Every time someone has a reason to be happy they shoot fireworks.  During the day it is the loud Black Cat style and during the evening it is the pretty sky rockets.  Last night a lot of people were happy.  I saw five different displays of sky rockets while having a beer on the balcony, in my shorts.  The weather was great yesterday.  Today is also very nice but the weather will pack in as the Prof. from New Zealand says.  It should be in the 40's Monday and Tuesday and then warm back up.
That is why I wanted to get my laundry done so I could dry it in the warmer weather.  Everything gets hung out to dry here.  You never lose a sock in the dryer here.   Half the machines are broken so it is not that easy to find a washer.  I may have to get up early Monday and do a load, if we have water pressure.
The touch Rugby went well.  It was not rough but it will wind you a bit.  It moves all the time and you never stop.  It is similar to hockey only you don't have any line changes.  The worse injury you will get is a rug burn on the Astro Turf field.  I did leave my glasses at the apartment.  No reason to break them if I really don't need them on to see.  Catching and throwing a ball are two skills you lose when you don't do it very often.  I guess I am in good enough shape that I should still be able to walk around tomorrow.  We will see how I feel after the alarm goes off, the rooster crows and the sounds of the distant chanting are over.
I just wonder how I would work on this air conditioner if it was at my college.  I also hope the engineers don't see this design because they may think it is a good idea.  I am on the fifth floor.  I had tofu for lunch and it was very good and it is only 75 cents a plate and I can read it on the menu.  So I knew what I was ordering today.

No comments:

Post a Comment